A wonderfully shocking summary of the biggest things wrong with the USA's electoral system, which is right up there with Zimbabwe's. The problems are, briefly:
- Citizens can't vote without a special token issued by the state (normal ID is not enough)
- Electronic voting machines screw up all the time with huge effects on count results
- Citizens in poorer neighbourhoods wait hours in line to vote
- No training for poll workers means no voting until afternoon
- Good old dirty tricks are used to mislead voters and disrupt campaigning
- Gerrymandering is now a widespread craft
- Citizens convicted of felonies are not told if or when their voting rights are restored
- The careful selection of pessimal electoral schemes is used as a creative means of minimizing representation for minority groups.
- Citizens away at university are simply denied the right to vote
- Voter registration forms are selectively "lost"
- It has become acceptable for election supervisors to abuse their power to favour their party
My good friend Dónal had a stag weekend recently, and people took photos of the respectable bits:
Here's the video that Brian shot at the same time:
Gideon announced he'll be posting his photos of the event as soon as he JPEGizes them this week.